Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Maurice Champion - Urban Network (Los Angels) - Music Business - Fresh Off the Plane

It's funny because the day that my plan was taking off I still went to work and worked the whole day (9 am -5pm). So may say that's impressive, others may call it stupid, but I call it taking care of business so things are straight for the next four (4) months while I'm gone.I made my way to the airport. I checked in and just waited until it was time to board my plane and ready for take off at 10:00pm. The flight was cool even though I slept the whole way LOL. The ride was approximately four (4) hours, so I landed in Cali, LAX, around 11:30 (you have to remember Cali is a three (3) hours time difference from the east coast). I hoped of the plane and made my to baggae claim and I saw the Black Ranger Zach, from the first Power Rangers LOL. C'mon you remember Zach, he use to break dance. He was looking a little dusty, run down, ragedy (I guess that Power Ranger money ran out). I felt fresher than him and all I had on was a hoody, some jeans, and some boots nothing fancy. I think it was him but IDK because Cali is filled with look a likes LOL. I found my bag and I went outside to wait on my ride to take me to the place where I'll be staying in LA.I finally arrived in my apartments and was greeted by my roomates, that I knew from school (they're interning also). I unpacked and went to sleep because I had to be at The Urban Network in four (4) hours.I woke up the next morning ready for my big day at the office. While waking into The Urban Network I was greeted by Miller London (CEO/President of Urban Network) with a firm hand shake and a welcom to LA. Now quick history lesson, Miller London was a very young man when he went to work for Berry Gordy at Motown Records in 1969. VP of Sales and Marketing for a very long 21 years. Then he just bought the Urban Network.....Rewind HE BOUGHT THE URBAN NETWORK...YES SIR.I finally got situated in the office and started working right off the back calling radio stations and creating radio contact spreadsheets. That same day these two cats named Rock City (they also go by R City), who is sign to Akon label Konvict, came through the office and had a meeting with Miller London and others in the office. Rock City was playing tracks that have written for artist and playing music from their album. One of the many songs they wrote was Mario's "Music for Love". They also did "Get Low" with Beanie Sigel. Rock City has worked Akon, Usher, Leona Lewis and that's just to name a few.It was nerve wacking feeling while Rock City was in the office being interview because I wanted that to be in their position but instead I was making phone calls, but I realized that I was actually on the grind pavening the way so I can be doing the same thing as Rock City, making music and living out my dream. At the end, my first day was a great day and I'm enjoying LA

1 comment:

Tracijaine said...

Don't forget to leave your name... we don't know who this is... :)