Monday, August 4, 2008

Stream of Consciousness

First let me say that I blog daily. Okay, almost daily. But most definitely more than I do here. But I do it on my Twitter page. You are invited to check out my Twitter feed below. What is Twitter? It is a micro-blogging tool that allows a maximum character count of 140 (like a txt msg). I consider compressing a complex thought in to such a small space an art form. Word.

LARRY LUCIO ON TWITTER

I just spent the weekend at my computer. Well nearly the whole weekend. Well nearly the whole summer. But I did get a break to kick it at the McNally BBQ on Sunday.

We were graced with the company of Debbie, Charley, Ashley, Israel, Warren and my fellow interns Jon, Joel, Munya, Traci, and Cole. Cole by the way is my hero. This dude is the youngest of us all out here and is making more happen for himself than I can believe. If he has the time to write blogs, you should be sure to follow his because what he is going through is the perfect example for any future intern to observe. Perseverance, sacrifice, hard work, and pure hustle. This guy has stared both diversity and the devil in the eyes and he is still standing. I salute you Cole.

Now back to the computer. I have yet to see the beach, go to a nightclub, or even take a dip in our pool. I've been working a lot. And this is as it should be. I have a big responsibility to do well at my internship and deliver on the CD project I mentioned last time. I take these commitments very seriously. What I am saying, is that to be out here takes sacrifice. I didn't realize how much until now. The summer is winding down to a close but I feel proud of how hard I worked. For me to stay focused in an environment like Los Angeles is a personal triumph. The distractions are endless and the things a guy can do with his time are vast and varied.

As an intern, I think I have learned more about myself than about the industry. This summer has been an exercise in mental discipline and intestinal fortitude. I faced some personal challenges that I would have handled very differently in the past. I felt like giving up sometimes. Anyone who says they haven't is not being honest with themselves. But the point I am making is that this experience has been worth it's weight in gold. It's the kind of thing no amount of money could ever buy you. You are dropped into an strange place and you either sink or swim. And I feel like I'm swimming. This could not have happened without the McNally Career Center. That is just a given. At the same time, I think they will tell prospective interns that the Center can only show you the door. You have to walk through it.

I have yet to make a decision about whether or not to stay. The allure of working for GridMob is intense. I can't reveal details yet but I have had the pleasure of working on deals for some of music's most iconic figures. In fact I got a chance to work with an artist who's work literally changed my life. I know that sounds vague but when the dust settles and the contracts are signed I will explain further. Confidentiality does not lend itself to be good blog material. But the discipline required not to name drop all over the place is good I guess.

That said, I will try to provide some more insight into the experience of an intern as I go along my last few weeks. But the truth is, some things are hard to capture in words and I hope when you read this you allow me that caveat.

This entry was more about me providing some momentary insight into the thought process of an intern in action. I decided ahead of time to sit down and do a stream-of-thought entry. This wasn't planned out... It just came out. And I hope you find some value in it.

To the young people reading this and considering coming to McNally, I have one piece of advice that I am sure you will hear me repeat again and again.... You will get out of this experience as much as you put into it. It is that simple for me.

And I feel good about what I put into it.

PEACE. PEACE.

LL
LarryLucio.com

No comments: