Saturday, August 9, 2008

Traci @ Key Club, LA-- Music Business: Wow... I'm behind...

Hey all!  

So, its been a while due to a variety of different things, mainly staying incredibly busy to the point where I really didn't realize that it has already been THREE weeks!  So here's how this is going to work:  This post will be from 2 weeks ago, then later tonight I will post from 1 week ago, and then tomorrow you will get updated on this past week... so a kind of final countdown to the end of the semester, if you will (and now I have that song in my head... "It's the final countdooooown...").

Monday, July 21:
Such a crazy and fun day at Key Club.  We were booked for two back-to-back events.  The first of which was a L'oreal Matrix Hair Show.  This actually required quite a bit of set up.   They had people in the club stuffing gift bags and placing product for testing all over the club while we rolled out the red carpets and set up tables, photo areas and candles (n
ot too close to the hair sprays, mind you.  We had to be very careful).  They also were having hosted food and beverage for about an hour as guests arrived before the big extravaganza o' hair!  The show was pretty interesting because they have a hair model sit while a "creative designer" performs his magic, all the while explaining what he is doing and how he prepped the model.  Pretty cool actually.  I picked up a few tricks.  Then after the show, it was another half hour of passed drinks and appetizers so people could mingle on their way out.  Then it was a chaotic half hour to transform the club from the hair show, into the normal Steel Panther night with a VIP JVC/Spin Magazine party in our Plush lounge for the launch of the Carstereoke contest that is going on right now.  That is the billboard we had up for the event and the product of the photoshoot on my very first day at Key Club.  You can also see it in this month's Spin Magazine along with an article.  

You know how people always say "Hard work pays off?"  Well believe them!  I offered to stay and help cocktail during the L'oreal show since we were slightly short-handed for that aspect, and then pitched in to aid in the turn-over, even though it was not expected.  Because of this, I was asked to stay for the JVC/Spin party and the show that night.  I met some great people, and got to spend a little non-work time with my mentors and had a chance to enjoy what we had worked so hard for that day.  

Tuesday, July 22
This was a slower day, used to catch up on work that would normally be done on Mondays, including my Jumbotron ads, a few phone calls, and research. I feel like there was something else that happened... but all I remember was being completely exhausted from the night before.  
Wednesday, July 23
We held a charity event called Rock for MS, hosted by MS Friends.  Set up for this was a little more low key since they brought out a lot of people to do most of the setting up.  We mainly just had to help with a few tables and flower arrangements and candles again.  It turned out beautifully.  

The event featured legendary Rock 'n' Roll photography and photographers and was a combination of silent auction, live auction, and DJs.  There were some incredibly recognizable pieces for silent auction in our Plush lounge, as well as the opportunity to meet some of the photographers, such as Jim Marshall.  Then, as I understand it, the DJ would play sets with live auctions in between.  It was so amazing to be in a room with some of the most famous Rock 'n' Roll pieces around, especially the candid shots, as if you were a part of their lives for that brief moment in time.  Very cool.

Thursday, July 24
Another quiet day at the office, returning to the normal pace of things.  Cleaning up a little from the previous days.  I was also getting a little anxious for my parents to visit again, however briefly, and they had started the drive that morning.  After work: SLEEP.

Friday, July 25
I researched some companies for some activities for a Bar Mitzvah we had coming up. Listened to a few demos.  I think I even finished up a little early and headed back to Culver just in time for my parents to get it.  

The rest of the weekend was a lot of fun, but packed trying to show them a few things they would enjoy, like the Rock Walk and cool Rock 'n' Roll art galleries on Sunset, Lunch at Mel's Diner, and, my favorite, Venice Beach and canals around sunset.  

Somewhere during this week, I also tried "Chile's" for the first time ever (I know, I can't believe I went to a chain when there are so many great places out here either, but it happened).  It was very yummy and I think I went back the next day too... It was at my transfer stop and I was hungry, ok?

Until later tonight!
Traci

No comments: