Sunday, July 6, 2008

Traci @ Key Club, LA-- Music Business: "...I thought I'd be a big star by today, but I've been sleepin' in a warehouse in West LA..."

Hey all!
So the latter of that lyrical snack is false, but I thought it was just too fitting (bonus points if anyone can name the song it came from).  

This week was a very short one for work.  The offices at Key Club were closed Thursday and Friday to allow for a nice relaxing holiday weekend, so you know what that means.... (and if you are thinking "party" you are so wrong) Networking!!  I got out a couple nights and met some great people in the most unlikely places, 2 songwriters and one manager.  From these chance encounters, I can now honestly say this from experience: anywhere you go out here, if you are outgoing and will just talk to people, you can make a contact.  Maybe they are just starting out, maybe you can do more for them than they can for you, maybe they are the key piece to the puzzle, who knows?  But there's only one way to find out.  You have to meet them!! Get off your butt, get your heads out of the clouds, quit whining and put yourself out there.  People will NEVER know who you are if you don't.  Opportunities won't knock if you don't provide a door (ooh, I just came up with that... I like it).  

Consider that a bit of motivation for the week, and if you don't buy into it, ask yourself how badly you really want whatever it is you are after.   

Now, that little babble and my uber-long walk/talk/eat amazing food with Charley at the Marina has me exhausted in an "I feel accomplished and I don't really know how much more I can do today" way that I am going to call it an early night and go to sleep at a record time for me.  

What's that?  Pictures?  Yeah right, I was meeting people!  I didn't have time for pictures! Maybe next week...

Peace (speaking of, don't forget to go out at 12 noon tomorrow to hail a peace sign for Ringo's Birthday!!)
Traci

No comments: