Monday, July 14, 2008

Traci @ Key Club, LA-- Music Business: "Last week on: Interns..."

So, I know I got a little preaching last week on making the most of everyday out here, and I hope you all got something from it, but this week I will stay a little lighter.  

Most of the week was the same fun stuff at Key Club, some Jumbotron, a little demo listening, marketing meeting, and a barn raising... I mean cleaning, a barn cleaning.  

"A barn cleaning?" Why yes, avid reader, a barn cleaning.  See, there is the club, quite large despite its street appearance, on the right hand side that runs to a back alley.  On the left-hand side in a separate building on property attached by a small fence/gate, are the actual Key Club offices.  Now, because the club is deeper than the office building, there is a little barn-like-shed (Hollie's Shed as it is so lovingly called) where we store supplies and decorations for special events held at the club.  Now that we've finished the tour, lets get back to the whole idea of a barn cleaning...

So like I said, the barn houses all of the special events goodies, from vases, picture frames, candle holders, etc to extra furniture and decorations.  Well, when we have an event, naturally we take items from the barn to set up in the club, but at the end of the night, the club staff returns said items to the barn, but doesn't generally put them back into their proper places.  So we have to go in a few times a year and reorganize in order to inventory and of course, be able to locate what we are looking for.  So on Friday, Hollie and I went to the barn for a little "spring cleaning" if you will.  Now that everything is back in order, it will be my job in the near future to return to the shed and inventory the items.  It may not sound like a lot of fun, but we worked very quickly and efficiently and had a few good laughs along the way, so it was actually a good day.  (With the exception of a bee that we watched die a slow and painful death despite our efforts to get him out of the blistering sun which, no doubt, was the cause.  RIP little bee, thank you for not stinging us.)

Anyway!

Now onto the personal ventures of the week, for which we will have to rewind from Friday to Wednesday. ~~~~ (that was supposed to be a rewind, which is difficult to demonstrate without use of sound or other media) Wednesday evening there was a Los Angeles Women in Music "Best of the Best Soiree" (aka, great networking event!!!).  Charley came and picked me up from work and in our attempt to think of something(s) to do before the event began, we stumbled upon an Arclight theater and decided to catch a movie.  We saw Hancock, which was surprisingly better than I had thought it would be based on the previews, and I highly recommend that everyone go check it out, I laughed, I cried, I ate popcorn.  Then we moved on to the event, and even though we were an hour early it worked to our advantage.  It seems that due to a communication error, the room was completely full, so much so that they ran out of food before everyone had eaten and people had to stand in the back behind one of the tables with the filming crew (which is FANTASTIC by the way).  So our being there early secured us a table.  We also had a chance to meet some great people before-hand as well as spend the evening with some amazing people performing that night that needed to sit with us.  

We sat with the wonderful TC Campbell who is an amazing pianist who was playing that evening with the lovely Miss Ronee Martin (also at our table) who was a phenomenal singer/songwriter who has had a song recorded by... someone from Motown who's name a can't believe I have forgotten right now.  We also had Michael (whose last name I have also forgotten at present) who plays several instruments, writes music, sings, and is a worship leader.  Among his many endeavors, he is also playing with Diana Ross at the Hollywood Bowl Symphony this summer (insert shock and awe here).  

We had a wonderful evening, in which I was asked by Michael, a la Berry Gordy, to sing a little something for him in the middle of dinner (definitely an interesting request while I am chewing a garlic roll...).  I got to speak a little with Ronee as well and we have since been in contact about trying to sit down and do some writing together after a charity event she is hosting on the 20th.  I plan to contact Michael and TC this week to touch base and see what stuff they are working on next. 

Following the event, Charley and I stopped off at Wendy's since we didn't really get any of the food at the Soiree since we were more concerned with the great conversations we were having with people involved in WiM (Women in Music.. keep up).  We grabbed some dinner and ate in the parking lot, which I think was sort of poetic in a way.  THAT is my kind of classy... get all dolled up, smooze the night away, then grab fast food that you eat in the parking lot... Classic! (Charley may hate me for revealing that dirty little secret, but I had a blast with it so I wanted to share)

Wow... can't believe I'm not done yet... I will finish soon I promise. 

We can now fast forward back to Friday~~~ (what? I know I used the same symbol for rewind and fast forward... what of it? You try and do better!) ~~~ Friday was a slow night, which picked up when Warren and a colleague (?) of his came over to play Monopoly with Munya and Maurice... and eventually me.  I love the game, and try as I may to polish my strategies, I usually end up losing.  Friday was no exception.  Our team (the interns) lost to Warren and Jason (said colleague (?)) by $90 million dollars plus property.  Ouch.  (for those of you that think that number is high, we were playing the Millennium Edition, where the dollar amounts are 10,000 times higher)

Saturday was filled with personal business and today was spent relaxing/being lazy and almost getting food poisoning at a local restaurant which I won't name because I have been there several times before with good experiences and don't want to tarnish their name over one bad one.  It was a good week.  

That's all for now, join us again next week.  Same intern time, same intern channel (if you don't get the reference, I really don't know about you... but here's a hint: Think Batman... not Cristian Bale Batman, the old old TV show Batman.... pretty much I just gave it to you... Ok, OBVIOUSLY, I need to quit writing and go to bed).  

Peace,
Traci

No comments: