Sunday, June 22, 2008

Unai Bolivar - 93XRocks! - Production - Twin Cities

Hey everyone,

Today concludes another week at the ever-so-dynamic 93XRocks! radio station. We did some more commercials this week and I got to practice my editing on the Audicy system some more. As usual we did our Loud & Local spot. The spot will evolve once again during the coming weeks but I am still making the final arrangements for that. The objective is to eventually feature either a spot that will push the minds of the McNally Smith student body and faculty towards figuring out a task of some sort, or to display the talented musicians that attend college. But as of now I bring ye' some pictures!
This soft-hearted, meanie to your left is Patrick. He is one of the DJs at 93X and is also my boss. My job currently consists of assisting him at the board during his sessions and tending to whatever he needs done. When doing the Loud & Local spot for example, my job is to make sure the CDs are in the proper order (yes, we DO have a system), that the beds and drops are loaded in order and ready to go by the time he needs them; making sure all systems are recording. As of next week I will be in charge of the board and all operation systems while Patrick just sits back and talks the show through. He has taught how everything works and I am confident in my ability to manage the engineering portion of the show.

Below is a picture of Patrick looking for the albums we used for last Sunday's L&L. I am still not used to the archiving hierarchy employed as it is, "kind of ah...my own system I guess..?" [from Patrick. Verbatim]. The system currently consists of Patrick knowing where most things are and myself still not having a clue of where to find most albums. To the best of my abilities I have managed to surmise the cabinets to the right of Patrick are where stuff that isn't meant for radio play is placed. Patrick and the rest of the members of 93XRocks receive demos daily and some fail to meet the quality standard for air time. To me, the reasons that stand out the most are the band not being professional and sending us their album in a CD-MAX (or some other generic) case, not having a CD cover, sending us demos that have not been mastered, etc. All of these things are both taxing on the band's chances to get air time, and, on some levels, on the band's credibility.
The shelves to his left are reserved for the CD's that have been aired. These usually get some rotation and span the year spectrum, I believe the oldest album that has been played since I have been at the station is from back in 1993. Patrick and I will usually do our search in those shelves.
The shelves to the far left in the picture are for small DAT's as you can see. Sometimes the shows will not just be saved in the station's main server with several duplicates under several serial codes for the different systems, but will also get saved on DAT and stored as a hard copy. This is usually left for much loftier shows with prime air time so as to be able to glide past any and all server problems. The system at 93X is extremely stable; to the point in fact, that most of the staff doesn't save to DAT anymore. Only some of the audiophiles there continue this practice.

Next week should have some exciting things going on as far as McNally becoming more integrated with the station and especially Loud & Local; so stay tuned!!!

No comments: