Sunday, June 1, 2008

Being Lost, Royalties, and Bob Dylan

To start things off, I feel like I have been driving around lost since I reached L.A. I have learned that driving to work and back I am completely comfortable, it's when I venture out to different places where most of my gas is used in trying to find a place that was closer than I thought. I should stop getting bad directions.
It seems I am finally settling into my apartment and new surroundings. My internet has been down for over week now and it is great to finally have it back.
Work at Alan Ett is still great. Lately I have been working on their Opus 1 library. They just signed 2 publishing deals and part of my job is to go through their catalog and make sure things are good to be registered with ASCAP and BMI. Most of my work has been with licensing and registering music, which has taught me lots about that process.
Also, they have introduced me to computer programs that I am becoming familiar with, such as Music Maestro. This program is very common with companies that deal with cue sheets.
The weeks are really busy with work, but I have been learning something everyday about how things run. But with the weeks being busy, it allows me to see things on weekends. Yesterday I went to a Bob Dylan exhibit with a few of the other interns. I can't even begin to say how incredible that was. We were able to see old guitars and harmonicas of his, handwritten lyrics, letters from him and Joan Baez, and we even played drums on some of his songs. The whole exhibit was something I'm glad we were able to see.
That's all for now. Take care.

-Nick Garrison

1 comment:

THOMAS GRASTY said...

NIck--

It's a great exhibit up there at Skirball. Glad you caught it before it ends this Friday. If you make a return trip be sure to grab a copy of my new novel, BLOOD ON THE TRACKS, which I think you'd enjoy (and is in the Skirball bookstore).

It's a murder-mystery. But not just any rock superstar is knocking on heaven's door. The murdered rock legend is none other than Bob Dorian, an enigmatic, obtuse, inscrutable, well, you get the picture...

Suspects? Tons of them. The only problem is they're all characters in Bob's songs.

You can get a copy on Amazon.com or go "behind the tracks" at www.bloodonthetracksnovel.com to learn more about the book.